What are Kegel Exercises for Men?
Kegel exercises for men are repeated exercises that involve contracting and relaxing the pelvic floor muscles. Kegel exercises aim to improve the strength and fitness of a man’s pelvic floor muscles.
Read on to learn more about Kegel exercises for men:
- How Kegel exercises can help men
- How to do Kegel exercises for men
How Kegel Exercises Help Men
Kegel exercises can also help men in a number of ways:
- Improve bladder control
- Improve bowel control
- Prolong erection
- Improve outcomes from Prostate surgery
- Improve management of low back pain
- Manage rectal prolapse symptoms
How to do Kegel Exercises for Men
There are some essential steps involved in doing correct Kegel exercises:
a. Knowing where your pelvic floor muscles are in your body
b. Feeling Kegel exercises for men
c. Doing your Kegel exercises correctly
Finding your Pelvic Floor Muscles
The pelvic floor muscles are like a hammock in and around the area where you sit. In men these muscles run between the sitting bones from side to side. They also sling like a hammock from the pubic bone at the front to the tail bone at the back. In men there are two openings in the pelvic floor – the urine tube (urethra) and the anus.
Feeling Kegel Exercises
One of the great challenges when starting out with Kegel exercises is feeling the pelvic floor muscles working. Techniques you can use to feel your Kegel exercises include:
- Using your pelvic floor muscles to draw or lift the testes upwards towards your body
- Stopping the flow of urine (use this as an occasional test not an exercise)
- Tightening and lifting in and around the anus
If you experience difficulty feeling your Kegels standing up, then try them lying down on your side or on your back. Lying down can be easier when first staring out or with weak pelvic floor muscles.
Tips to Check Kegel Exercises
- When standing side on to a full length mirror and with correct Kegel exercises men will usually see the penis move inwards (retract) and the testes lift
- You should feel an inwards lifting sensation and tightening around the anus with correct Kegel exercises. Then you should feel a complete relaxation of your pelvic floor muscles having once contracted them.
How to do Kegel Exercises with Correct Technique
Correct Kegel exercise technique can help you ensure that you strengthen most effectively. To do your Kegel exercises correctly ensure the following:
- Good posture – ensure that you maintain the normal inwards curve in your lower back throughout your exercises
- Normal breathing – keep your breathing regular during your exercises and avoid holding your breath
- Start gently – when you start out commence with gentle exercises and ensure that your technique is correct
- Progress gradually – when you are confident you are doing your Kegel exercises correctly, gradually start to use stronger pelvic floor muscle contractions
For information on how to set up your daily Kegel workout routine refer to Kegel Exercises for Men Daily Workout Guide
Please read our disclaimer regarding this information.
Copyright © Kegels.com.au